Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Caring about what others think - or not!

I have always been somewhat of a people-pleaser. I cared way too much about what others thought of me. In my younger years, I couldn't or wouldn't formulate an opinion about a movie or book because if my opinion differed from yours, I was afraid you wouldn't like me.

Now that I'm older, and hopefully wiser, I do share my opinion. And I have to say, I feel like an odd duck most of the time. I was with two girlfriends a few days ago and we got into a conversation about this. We discovered that we all feel that way - as if we don't fit, don't belong.

On American Idol, James (the young man with Asperger's and Turette's Syndrome, got voted off. When he was interviewed on Ellen Degeneres a few days later, he said something that really stuck with me: "Different is the new normal." I so love that, because I have always felt different.

Now that I've dyed my hair red, my friends are divided on how they feel about it. What this is teaching me is that I need to just focus in on how I feel about it. And how my husband feels about it, too. He thinks I'm beautiful no matter what color my hair is. Isn't that lovely? And he just wants me happy. So, I'm living with it for now and I have to tell you, there is a livelier step in my walk, I've gotten a few looks from strange men (that hasn't happened in decades) and I'm a bit freer when I'm singing. But I'm still a wee bit concerned that my friends will think I'm nuts. I guess, if they do, there's nothing I can do about that. And my real friends will understand what motivated me to do it and trust me to know what's best for me. Even if they don't agree.

So, my question to you, dear friends, is, do you care what others think? Or not?
Blessings,
Karen

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar